Friday, March 9, 2012

Finally a kitchen update!

I know I know it has been a long time since we’ve updated our progress on the kitchen.  This kitchen renovation thing is exhausting and we’ve been fully consumed with it on the weekend.  J was traveling two weeks ago and I’ve been to Arizona last week and currently in Nebraska.   Last weekend we took the weekend off to ski for our beer league championships! It was a fun weekend of ski racing and a nice break from working on the kitchen. 

So here is what we’ve been upto the few weeks:

Dishwasher: came in and looks great! We can’t wait to use it. 

Cabinets: Have just arrived at the shipping company.  We originally delayed the production of the cabinets, since we that we knew we wouldn’t be ready for them.  We estimated we may be ready on March 7th by my optimistic schedule.  The cabinet install will definitely not happen the weekend of March 10-11th as originally planned, but hopefully soon after.  We are excited to see the new cabinets!

Floor: A few weekends ago Mom and I pulled up the plywood subfloor.  As suspected gorgeous hardwood underneath. We plan to refinish this. We’ll need install 40-50 square feet of new hardwood…no big deal.  We decided to go with hardwood for a few reasons--- first we love the look of hardwood.  Second I’ve searched high and low for tile that really excited me and we’ve found nothing.  J and I tend to like the blues and the tile that is made to look like slate. Unfortunately, that didn’t quite match as well with the granite picked out.  I brought many tile samples to the home and nothing excited me like the hardwood. So hardwood it is! I think the combination of the slightly off white cabinets with the contrast of the hardwood floor and the bianco romano will look fabulous.  Here is some inspiration:


photo courtesy of: http://www.granitegurus.com/2011/05/readers-kitchen-bianco-romano-granite.html

Here is a sample of both our granite & cabinets (color, not style):



Wood Floors:


Plumbing & Electrical:  We reconnected the sink in the kitchen, so no more washing dishes in the bathroom (I think we did this for 2 days).  Washing dishes in the kitchen makes a HUGE difference because the other options were bathroom sink or in the tub.  As for the plumbing and electrical -- everything takes longer than expected.  We added in some recess lights and they look great. Hiding the plumbing in the wall also opens up our space and it looks awesome as well. 

Our 30 yard dumpster was also picked up. I'd say we filled it well.

 

Now – we’re just getting ready to sheetrock!!   Thanks everyone for bugging me about an update!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment